“The Art of Mutual Submission in Marriage”
I saw this tweet yesterday on tweeter and as husband, I decided to follow on the responses, it would be great, if we can go a head and pose the same questions to our spouses, for those who will find time to read. “Married women, I have a challenge for you. Send your husband this text: “[Name/pet name], I have recently been challenged to improve myself as a wife. In what ways do you feel I can be more submissive to you?” And wait. ~Zion Pearl
16 hours after Zion posted that tweet, one follower, sent back her response from the husband: ~Ndinda Ochuka
The concept of submission in a marital relationship is important to many marriages. Submission in a marriage means respecting and supporting your spouse and working together as a team. In this blog, I will discuss some ways in which a wife can improve herself and be more submissive to her husband, using supporting scriptures from the Bible.
- Respect your husband: Respect is one of the most important aspects of submission in marriage. As a wife, you must respect your husband’s opinions, decisions, and leadership. In Ephesians 5:33, the Bible says, “However, each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband.” This verse shows that respect is just as important as love in a marriage. Show your husband respect by listening to him, valuing his opinions, and supporting his decisions.
- Support your husband’s vision: Your husband may have a vision or goal for your family, and as his wife, it is important to support him in achieving that vision. In Proverbs 31:10-31, we read about the virtuous wife who supports her husband and works diligently to help him achieve his goals. This verse highlights the importance of a wife’s role in supporting her husband’s vision for their family.
- Be submissive: The Bible teaches that wives should submit to their husbands. In Ephesians 5:22-24, it says, “Wives, submit yourselves to your own husbands as you do to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything.” This verse shows that submission is a key aspect of a godly marriage. It is important to note that submission does not mean that the wife is inferior to the husband. Instead, it means that the wife willingly chooses to follow her husband’s lead, just as the church follows Christ.
- Communicate effectively: Communication is vital in any marriage. As a wife, it is important to communicate your thoughts and feelings with your husband in a respectful and loving way. In Proverbs 31:26, it says, “She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue.” This verse shows that a godly wife uses wise and kind words to communicate with her husband. Effective communication can help to strengthen your relationship and build trust between you and your husband.
- Pray for your husband: Prayer is a powerful tool in marriage. As a wife, you should pray for your husband’s well-being, wisdom, and leadership. In 1 Timothy 2:1-2, it says, “I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people— for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness.” This verse highlights the importance of praying for those in authority, including husbands. Prayer can help to bring peace, unity, and strength to your marriage.
In conclusion, being submissive as a wife means respecting and supporting your husband’s leadership, communicating effectively, and praying for your husband. Submission in marriage does not mean that the wife is inferior to the husband, but rather that she willingly chooses to follow his lead, just as the church follows Christ. By following these biblical principles, you can improve your relationship with your husband and build a godly marriage.